Fun Summer Reading Programs in St. Charles

Reading is the foundation for learning in every subject, so it is necessary for children to develop into effective readers.  When a child is struggling to read, functioning in all subjects suffer.  Another way to put it is, if a child is not learning to read, she is not reading to learn.

National studies have demonstrated that approximately 5%of children begin to read with little effort and 20% – 30% of youngsters learn to read comparatively easily when presented with conventional instruction.  That leaves about 70% of children who face a bigger challenge and need at least some extra help.

Summer is a great time for parents and caregivers to get their children the assistance they require to be excellent lifetime readers and learners.  Children who may be tightly scheduled or working too hard to complete home work during the school year usually have more time available in the summer.  They can focus on initially overcoming weaker areas without trying to keep up with classroom grade-level work simultaneously.

Also, reading programs can overcome summertime  “brain drain”, the loss of skills learned during the previous school year.  Even accomplished readers can lose up to 2 ½ months of what they learned in school.  A great summer reading program supports and enhances healthy reading habits and provides a challenge over the long school break.

Additionally, if a child is already an accomplished reader, an excellent summer reading program inhibits summer “brain drain”, supports and enhances healthy reading habits and offers a challenge over the long school break.

Of course not all summer reading programs are created equal.  What makes a really summer reading program?  

1.  Customized to Each Student  
Great summer programs are tailor-made instruction to meet a child’s needs.  The process should start with a diagnostic pre-assessment to identify any gaps or deficiencies of existent knowledge.  A personalized instructional program aligned with national and state standards should be developed for each child.

2. Comprehensive Program
The curriculum should cover phonics, sight words, vocabulary, and reading comprehension and include a large variety of tutorials and activities.  Instruction should be intentional to develop literacy, meet standards and improve test scores, and reading pleasure.

3. Expert Instructors
Tutors should be academically qualified (holding an appropriate degree) and passionate about helping children learn.  They should be knowledgeable of the local school district’s curriculum in order to strengthen any weak areas and build on the local curriculum.  

4. Fun!  
The content should be provided in an engaging, interactive, and high impact learning environment designed for today’s kids.  Kids absorb the information better when they are having fun.

5. Reports  
A great  reading program over the summer will include reports not only for the sake of documentation, but also to track progress, student mastery, and grade level gains.  These reports allow parents to keep track of progress and should lead naturally to item 6 below.

6. Accomplishments  
The real proof of any summer reading program is in the results delivered.
An excellent program will give your child increased achievement, motivation, test scores, and self confidence.    

A great summer reading program will build the skills, habits and attitudes your child needs for a solid academic foundation and a lifetime of success.  Choose wisely and you’ll collect the rewards for years to come.

Scroll to Top